Monday, October 13, 2008

Things I've learnt in the Kitchen (recently)

1. Baking powder does go bad.

This was discovered Christmas morning - the first year I spent Christmas with my in-laws and insisted that I would make Christmas breakfast for everyone.

2. The temperature of the butter matters.

This was discovered last night. Just making some regular peanut butter cookies that I've made a hundred times. But my butter was frozen so I just zapped it in the microwave and poured it in melted. 30 minutes later I poured the cookie dough into the bin.

Just thought I'd share, in case someone else is as clueless as me in the kitchen. Maybe this will save your next batch of cookies!

3 comments:

Izzy said...

Where was I when you were making peanut butter cookies! That's what you get for making them with out me.

Let's go party Saturday night! I have a baby sitter!!!!!!!

Debbie said...

Here's one I learned once: it's best not to reach for the maple flavoring when you really wanted vanilla. (Those were some interesting cookies.) Your mistakes were far more understandable!

ottspot said...

I've discovered that the butter problem goes for cream cheese too. Microwaving cream cheese is a no go. And once my seminary teacher made us muffins entirely with salt instead of sugar. My brother and I (the only students in the class) were too embarrassed to say anything and we ate 2 each! The teacher figured it out by the next morning and then we were even more embarrassed when she kept asking why we didn't say anything.