Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Where's my landlord?!

So we bought a house a couple weeks ago (pictures to follow v. soon), which we love, but also which keeps having problems that have to get fixed. First we had pest issues (thanks to our trusty pest-guy we're currently pest free)....then there was the leak under the sink and accompanying panic when we didn't know how far it had spread (turned out to be minimal damage) ....Ok, so I can handle that. Fixing it all added up to the equivalent of a few new shirts, but I'm ok. And everyone has stories about the things that went wrong as soon as they moved into their first house, right? We needed the leak and the insects so that we could be in the club.

So this weekend with all disasters averted and almost every room unpacked, we're feeling pretty good about things. Until TJ looks under the house.

There's a lake under there!

Admittedly it was there before we bought the house too, but we made sure the seller took care of it and our inspector ok'd the work and it was all 'taken care of'. After our discovery I called the company that did the work and find out that the seller did a little more than fudge in the name of getting it done w/o having to spend, and was all too aware that a month later we'd be back in the same situation.

Now we're pretty ticked, but we're putting on a brave face - how much can it cost to get some kids to push some dirt around under our house??

Let's just say I'm not giving up t-shirts anymore. My summer vacation just turned into three trailers full of dirt!

8 comments:

Andrea J said...

Yay! I'm the first commenter on your blog! I'm so glad you guys joined the blogging world and am looking forward to many more posts.

Izzy said...

YYYYYYYYeeeeeeaaaaahhhh!

Finally!

I am excited to visit your little blog world. Your house is beautiful. Even more in real life! I love your porch swing and yard!

Don't worry about the little things...it will pay off one day!

Plus you always have Steve to sweat in ditch with T.J. while you and I sip lemonade from the porch swing while watching the kids play!!!!

Yeah baby.

Love you guys - izzy

Debbie said...

Woo hoo! I'm so excited you're blogging now, and that you have a house (although I am sorry about your lake). If we were still around there I'd volunteer Neal to go help.....

We miss you guys!

Alicia said...

Even with your lake, i still have house envy. best of luck

Unknown said...

Love the blog! And what an original title. "blog!!!" I'm glad you waited to unveil it to the world, it was well worth the wait!
Now to more important things: why is Kevin's link to his blog above mine! Where is family loyalty?

Dana said...

I'm SO happy you have a blog! When I first started a blog, I got tons of comments about how everyone couldn't wait to hear all our funny stories and that they knew they'd be rolling on the floor. I was scared to blog forever after that- I didn't want to disappoint everyone! But I got over it. And all I have to say is your blog better be funny! Kidding! Welcome to the blogging world!

Spring said...

Oh that stinks! Thanks for the stories though...makes me feel a little better about throwing our money away on rent. That really stinks though. (ryanandspring.blogspot.com)

Cherie said...

Danielle! So fun to see you in the blogging world :) I'm excited to see what's going on in your life! :)