Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Not So Bad

Today, Danielle and I headed back to work. My downtown office is pretty smashed up (floors 11-14 of the picture below), so I'll be sticking up here in the Woodlands Office. It actually feels kinda nice to return to the normalcy of working. Funny that it takes a major natural disaster to bring about that feeling.


Things have improved significantly since Saturday. We still don't have power at home, but a cold front moved in and the tempature has been in the 70s. Its been cool enough that we've had to sleep with extra blankets at night. Now that I am no longer sweating at night and have mostly gotten over missing the best BYU football game in a long time, I feel much better. (That will probably last until I have to buy gas one of these days, most lines top two hours).

Another positive byproduct of this experience is that we have gotten to know our neighbors really well, which is something we've been wanting to do for a while. We all got together on Monday and worked on clearing our street and each others yards. I've decided that chainsawing makes for the best neighborhood bonding. Also, I must say that without TV entertainment our social lives have improved a lot, we have had friends over or visited friends every night. So things are not so bad.
Now, our next project will be to try to use some of the wood from our fallen trees to make some cool piece of furniture. Any suggestions?







3 comments:

BusyMama said...

I'm so glad you guys made it out OK. I was thinking about you hoping that you wouldn't lose a house, or worse! I can only imagine how intense it must have been - we got the remnants of the storm and it still managed to produce 50mph winds, knocking down trees and shutting down power all over the city. I'm glad you're safe!

Unknown said...

I've heard rumours that my face carves nicely into wood.....

Andrea J said...

I really like this idea (http://happymundane.blogspot.com/2006/08/puppies-babies-hoops-dowels-and-hot.html)