Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Oh so civic

This week we decided to be good community people and went to our neighborhood association meeting. BIG mistake.

It all started out innocently enough. We turned up at the old firestation where it's held; We wrote on names on sticky name tags and introduced ourselves at the beginning as newbies; They talked about recent events and some that were coming up.....and then the butterfly man stood up. He gave an hour long lecture about butterflys and how to get them to hang out in your garden. After all the intros there was no way we could have left without it being really rude - so we were trapped.

Now we both know way more than we ever wanted to about butterflies, and will think twice (or at least do a bit more research) before trying to do anything community-related again!

4 comments:

Andrea J said...

I really thought that you were going to say that you got roped into being on a neighborhood board or something, too bad about the butterfly man though.

Dana said...

I learned my lesson when I went to the caucus meeting (quite innocently as well!) and came home the co-chair and state delegate! You have to be careful when getting involved!!

Izzy said...

Yeah...looks like the people in your neighborhood need some better things to be involved in! What a laugh...butterfly guy!!! I can imagine you and TJ with your eyes glazed over. Ha ha ha ha ha. So great!

We had the Chief Comptroller of Houston come talk to us at our last Association meeting....did you know Houston has a 2 BILLION dollar budget?

I mainly go because they raffle a $20 gift card at the end of the meeting......but I haven't won yet. What a trap those meetings are.

Unknown said...

You went a community meeting....I'm not sure I like this new Danielle.