Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Great Debaters

The Houston Young Lawyers Assocation was looking for volunteers to judge at the Urban Debate League. In a burst of public spirit, I signed myself (and TJ) up. It never ocurred to me that knowing anything about debate would be a prerequisite.

I showed up expecting to receive some training, but instead was giving a score sheet and a room number, and TJ and I were sent in opposite directions. When I found the room I realized that there was no one else coming - I was it. And as far as I could tell, the score sheet was written in another language.

Luckily my debaters were beginners too, and were too busy being nervous to notice I had no idea what was going on. My feedback was definitely lacking in the technicalities of it all, but overall I hope think the right person won!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

You were a debate judge.....hahaha I love your community involvement.

ukmom said...

You're such a natural at debating - I'm sure it never occurred to you that others 'work' at it and there are rules.